The importance of using Gas Safe registered engineers

If you are having any commercial gas work done or need a gas engineer to look at the boiler requirements for your commercial premises then we cannot stress enough the importance of choosing a Gas Safe registered engineer. Gas Safe replaced CORGI back in 2006 as the registered body to ensure the safety of work on gas appliances and it is now law that a gas engineer has to be Gas Safe registered to do any work in your home.

At no point should you carry out any gas work yourself or employ the services of somebody who isn’t registered. Gas appliances that aren’t fitted properly can cause leaks, explosions, fires and carbon monoxide poisoning so you can clearly see that working with gas is not a DIY activity!

So how do you choose a Gas Safe registered engineer?Engineers home page

This is quite simple. The Gas Safe register website has a comprehensive list of gas engineers on their register and it will also indicate the type of work they are qualified to do – boilers, fires, cookers, pipes etc. You can also locate them by post code to find an engineer that is close to where you live.

When you engage the services of a Gas Safe registered engineer always ask to see their ID card for extra reassurance. The ID card will include their photo, name, registration number and the company they work for. It will also include details of the type of work they are competent to do so this is always worth checking.

If you are planning a major commercial refurbishment project it can be tempting to leave the entire project to a particular company and leave them to organise everything. Subcontracting happens a lot in the world of commercial renovation so if your project involves gas work you need to make sure that it is being carried out by somebody who is qualified.

In light of this we urge you to check with the building company, project manager, or contractor that you are working with to ensure that the gas work is being carried out by a registered engineer and that you want to have their registration number so that you can check them out.

After any gas work is completed you should always be given a building regulation compliance certificate by your gas engineer. This will detail the work that has been carried out and who completed it. Make sure that you get this from your gas engineer before he leaves the job.

At Winrow Building Services Ltd, we carry out all aspects of gas work and all our engineers are on the Gas Safe register for you to check. If you need any advice on gas work for your commercial premises then please do not hesitate to contact us.

Ben Winrow
Latest posts by Ben Winrow (see all)